Wednesday, August 17, 2011

Had to wrap the new exhaust because of transmission temps rising.

Here is a shot of the new 4" exhaust coming off the turbo.  Big pipe, barely fits in there.  Can't say enough about how I like this 4" exhaust.  Except for one problem. 
If you look carefully you can see where the exhaust actually rubs up against the transmission for about two square inches.  Perfect for transferring those hot exhaust gasses right into transmission temp increases.  When I'd pull up a long grade the transmission temps would rise to 220+. 
I hope this will be the solution.  I wrapped the pipe from the turbo down past the transmission.  I was also able to bend, bang, and knock, the exhaust away from the transmission.  I now have the wrap on there and a quarter inch of clearance. 
I haven't pulled a grade yet to test it.  Confidence is high.  Looks kind of cool wrapped up like that. 


No comments: